Ison Biology has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://isonbiology.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Common Assessment 3.2 Remediation

Students scoring below a 36 (60/D overall grade) on Common Assessment 3.1 must complete the following assignment to be eligible for the remediation assessment. Any students who scored above a 36 (60/D overall grade) this assignment is optional, but highly recommended.

PART 1:
Draw the cell cycle (including the phases of mitosis). Thoroughly describe what occurs at each stage of the cell cycle (including each stage of interphase and each individual phase of mitosis). MUST BE IN COLOR.
[SC.912.L.16.14 Describe the cell cycle, including the process of mitosis. Explain the role of mitosis in the formation of new cells and its importance in maintaining chromosome number during asexual reproduction.]

PART 2:
Answer the following questions:
1. How do cells regulate the cell cycle (provide specific examples of internal and external regulators)?
2. What sort of errors could occur with the regulators you mentioned previously and what would the results be?
[SC.912.L.16.8 Explain the relationship between mutation, cell cycle, and uncontrolled cell growth potentially resulting in cancer.]

PART 3:
Complete the following identifying the phenotypes of the parents, drawing a Punnett Square, the genotypes of the offspring, and the phenotypes of the offspring:

Complete Dominance (T = Tall, t = short)
1. TT * TT
2. TT * Tt
3. TT * tt
4. Tt * Tt
5. Tt * tt
6. tt * tt

Incomplete Dominance (R = Red, r = White)
7. RR * RR
8. RR * Rr
9. RR * rr
10. Rr * Rr
11. Rr * rr
12. rr * rr

Codominance (R = Red, r = blue)
13. RR * RR
14. RR * Rr
15. RR * rr
16. Rr * Rr
17. Rr * rr
18. rr * rr

Sex-Linked Traits
XX = Female
XY = Male
X^C = Normal Vision
X^c = Color-Blind
Y = Nothing

19. X^C X^C * X^C Y
20. X^C X^c * X^C Y
21. X^c X^c * X^C Y
22. X^C X^C * X^c Y
23. X^C X^c * X^c Y
24. X^c X^c * X^c Y

Multiple Alleles
I^A = A Antigens produced on Red Blood Cells
I^B = B Antigens produced on Red Blood Cells
i = No Antigens produced on Red Blood Cells

25. I^A I^A * I^B I^B
26. I^A I^B * I^A I^B
27. I^A I^B * I^B i
28. I^A i * I^B I^B
29. I^B I^B * I^B I^B
30. I^B i * I^B i

Dihybrid Crosses (R = Round, r = wrinkled; G = Green, g = yellow)
31. RRGg * RrGg
32. RrGg * RrGg
33. Rrgg * rrGG

Polygenic Traits
34. AaBbCc * AaBbCc
35. aaBBcc * aabbCC
[SC.912.L.16.1 Use Mendel's laws of segregation and independent assortment to analyze patterns of inheritance. AND SC.912.L.16.2 Discuss observed inheritance patterns caused by various modes of inheritance, including dominant, recessive, co-dominant, sex-linked, polygenic, and multiple alleles.]

Due Wednesday, March 23, 2011 (A-Day) and Thursday, March 24, 2011 (B-Day)